You are here: AU  Staff  International Academic Staff (IAS) On arrival Insurance Health insurance

Health insurance

Everyone residing in Denmark for more than three months has the right to receive national health service treatment for free. This means that as soon as you are a registered resident here, you have the same rights to medical assistance as Danish citizens.

Registration and yellow health insurance card

The yellow health insurance certificate (sygesikringsbevis) is your documentation that you are entitled to health insurance services in Denmark.

Conditions to receive Danish public healthcare:

  1. You must stay in Denmark for more than three months
  2. You need to hold a residence and work permit or EU certificate of registration (except if you are a Nordic citizen)
  3. You must have an address in Denmark for minimum 1 month.
  4. You must also present a variety of documents depending on your current civil status. See which documents you need to bring.

How to register for health insurance

See the procedure to register for health insurance under Registration and your nationality

When am I covered?

You are covered by the Danish health insurance from the day you register at the National Registry Office (for non-EU/EEA citizens) or the first day of your EU residence certificate.

Further information

For further information about Danish healthcare see 

EU citizens and EU health insurance card

On arrival in Denmark

EU citizens and citizens from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are encouraged to bring the blue EU health insurance card with them from their home country. The EU health insurance card provides coverage within the EU for up to a year during holiday and work. With the card you will be covered by health insurance until you get registered in Denmark. Read more about the card and how to obtain it on the website of the European Commission and 

Going abroad

The EU health insurance card can also be used when going on a holiday or work trip abroad. The card will cover you on equal terms as the citizens of the EU country you visit. 

Read more about insurance when going abroad

Who can take out EU health insurance?

To be eligible for a card, you must be insured by or covered by a state social security system in any member state of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. Each separate member of a family travelling should have their own card. Non EU citizens who are a spouse/partner/child of an EU citizen may also apply for an EU health insurance card.   

Read more about the EU health insurance card on the website of the European Commission

Stays of 3 months or less

People on short-term visits (less than three months) are not entitled to free medical care (only emergency treatment). They need to obtain private health care coverage through private insurances.

Cross border commuters

If you are working in Denmark while living in another EU/EEA country, you can, under certain circumstances, get a health insurance card which gives you access to the Danish healthcare system. Contact your local municipality in Denmark for further information or vist

1542 / i43