Non EU/EEA-citizens

Accompanying family members

Spouses, registered partners or cohabiting partners, as well as any children under the age of 18 who are living at home, to a person granted a residence and work permit as a researcher or research trainee are eligible for Danish residence permits.

However, family members must be able to support themselves and they must live together in Denmark at the same address. The spouse, registered partner or cohabiting partner is allowed to work full-time for the entire period his or her permit is valid.

How to apply?

The spouse/registered partner/cohabiting partner as well as every child must submit his/her own application via the MF1-form. It is also necessary to pay a fee for every single person.

The application form contains a detailed description of how you should complete the form and which documents you must attach.

Biometrics for residence cards

You must have your biometric features and your signature recorded when submitting your application or within 14 days of submitting your online application.

You must notify the person at Aarhus University who assists you with your residence and work permit application or contact the Danish immigration authorities (SIRI), if it is not possible to have your biometrics recorded within the 14 day limit.

You can have your biometrics recorded at a Danish diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate general) or at an outsourcing agency which receives applications on behalf of a Danish diplomatic mission, at a Danish police station or in the Citizen Centre of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration.

Read more about biometrics for residence cards

How to record your biometrics in Denmark

You can have your biometric features (photo and finger print) recorded at the Citizen Centre located at the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration in Copenhagen or a Danish police station, capable of recording biometric features.

When your application has been processed

After having processed your application, the immigration authority will make a decision. If you applied from outside Denmark the decision will be sent to the diplomatic mission in your country of origins or country of residence. The diplomatic mission will send the decision to your address, or you will be asked to pick it up in person at the diplomatic mission.

It is important to:

  • Read the decision and attached information carefully
  • Be aware of actions to be taken upon arrival in Denmark
  • Make sure that the granted period is correct
  • Always keep the permit and attachments in your files

Upon arrival in Denmark registration at public authorities is required. Read more about how to register.

Residence card (pink card)

As a non-EU/EEA citizen you will be issued a residence card with biometrics (pink card), which include your facial image and fingerprints stored on a microchip embedded in the card. 

You must have the residence card to travel outside Denmark as it is your documentation that you have a residence and work permit.

If you do not have the residence card and have to leave Denmark during your stay, you must apply for a re-entry permit every time you go abroad.

How do you receive the residence card?

The residence card is sent to the address you register yourself with at the National Registry/Citizens Service. Your name must appear on the mailbox of your residence; else the mail will not be delivered and you will not receive your residence card.

Usually it takes 4-6 weeks to get the card. If you have not received the card within this period, you should contact the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration as a mistake might have been made.

Important for people on short term stays (of max 90 days)

In order to receive your residence card, you must submit your address in Denmark to the Danish Immigration authorities. You will not register your address with the National Registry, and therefore the Immigration authorities will not receive your address automatically. You can write in your application for a residence and work permit (in the field for comments) that you would like to have the residence card sent to Aarhus University, the department you will be working at. It is important that you remember to write the name and contact information of the department employee who will receive the card.

Alternatively you can send your address in Denmark (when you have it) directly to the Danish Immigration authorities at or (PhD students) stating your address in Denmark. You must include the following information in the e-mail:

  • full name
  • nationality
  • birthday
  • case number for your residence and work permit application so that the address can be matched with your case

It is important that your name appears on the mailbox of your residence in Denmark; else the card will not be delivered.

For further information about biometric residence cards please see the New to Denmark website 

Sideline activities

Important information for non-EU/EEA employees/guests holding a residence and work permit to Aarhus University and who is considering to act as external examiner, give lectures or to take other sideline activities anywhere in Denmark.

If you hold a work and residence permit to Aarhus University, this permit only allows you to work for the specific and specified employer (AU) in the specified position and period as mentioned in your work and residence permit.

If you are considering to engage in any other activities, an additional permit for that sideline activity is required. Sideline activities can be related to your work or free time. A sideline permit is required for each sideline activity. 


Consequences if you do sideline activities without a permit

Failure to obtain sideline permits if required will put you in the position of working illegally. Consequently, both you and your sideline employer(s) or host(s) can be subject to a fine, and worst case scenario you can be deported from Denmark and not be allowed back for a long time.

Application process

A separate application for each sideline activity is submitted to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI), and your sideline employer or host must initiate the application.

The processing time can be up to one month from the date SIRI receives a fully completed application. Therefore it is important to apply in due time.

There is no application fee required and no requirements to record biometrics.

If the above circumstances apply to you, please contact your sideline employer(s) or host(s) as soon as possible and inform AU that you take up sideline activity.

Further ínformation

Find more information about sideline activities on:

The International Academic Staff Service website

The New to Denmark website 

If you have additional questions, please contact Inge Aachmann Pedersen,

Re-entry permit

You need a re-entry permit if you have not yet received your pink residence card and need to go abroad for a limited period of time.

Normally a re-entry permit will only be granted if you have specific travel needs and the period of time spent outside of Denmark is short.

Who is able to obtain a re-entry permit?

Re-entry permits are given to people who need to go abroad and who:

  • Hold a valid residence and work permit but have not yet received their pink residence card
  • Have submitted an application for an extension of a residence and work permit and have not yet received their pink residence card

Children of foreign nationals with permanent residency in Denmark, who have not yet received a residence card, can be issued with a residence card by the Danish Immigration Service or the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration.

Duration of re-entry permits

The re-entry permit will be valid for the period of time that corresponds with your specific travel needs, but never for more than 90 days.


The re-entry permit must be issued before you leave Denmark.

A re-entry permit can be issued, if the applicant meets in person at the Danish police or the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration Citizen Service in Copenhagen. Remember to bring a valid passport. The re-entry permit will be affixed to a page in your passport.

The procedure to get the re-entry permit:


Read more about re-entry permits on the New to Denmark website

Extension of your residence and work permit

You are personally responsible for extending your residence permit if applicable. Your application must be submitted no sooner than two months before and no later than the date of expiry of your current permit. Submit your application to the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (by email to or via the electronic application system) or the local police.

The form to fill out is the AR3/AR7 form (MF2 for accompanying family members).

The application process and the documentation needed to apply are described in the forms – please read them carefully.

Remember to send/bring along the following documents when extending your residence and work permit:

  • Documentation of paid fee.
  • Valid passport or other form of travel identity card.
  • Passport photo that is a good likeness. See instructions here (in Danish only)
  • Employment contract, including your job description and employment conditions, i.e. pay, working hours, work content.
  • For employees whose original residence permit is revoked, etc. in particular: documentation for employment conditions, e.g. employment contract, payslips or annual tax return.
  • For non-AU-employees: Proof that the applicant can support him-/herself financially while in Denmark, e.g. bank statements, pay slips or a letter from the applicant‟s employer in his/her home country (original documents only).

Please refer to the New to Denmark website for further information

If you leave Denmark for a period

Your residence permit will automatically be revoked if you relinquish your residence in Denmark unless your permit exempts you from this (only applies to certain permits issued after January 1st 2015).

If you remain outside Denmark for a longer period of time, your residence and work permit can be annulled. This happens if you give up your residence in Denmark or if you stay outside Denmark for longer than 6 months (or 12 months if you have been in Denmark for more than two years).

You have to apply for dispensation from having your residence and work permit cancelled before you leave Denmark.

For further information about how to submit the application and access to the application forms, see

What you will need to re-enter into Denmark/the Schengen area

If you need to leave Denmark and the Schengen area during your stay in Denmark you must have a multiple entry visa or a residence card (pink card).

  • The multiple entry visa allows you to travel in the Schengen area during the period stated in your visa sticker in your passport.
  • The residence card is documentation that you have Danish residence and is used in the same way and gives access to the same countries as the visa sticker.

If you are a legal resident in Denmark but do not hold a multiple entry visa or a residence card, and need to leave Denmark for a limited period of time, you must apply for a re-entry permit to Denmark. Read more about re-entry permits above.

List of Foreign Offices at the Police in Denmark

There are Foreign Offices in all the country's 12 police districts

The offices most relevant to AU employees

Østjyllands Politi, Aarhus

Østjyllands Politi
Ridderstræde 1
8000 Aarhus C

8731 1448

Opening hours
Monday to Wednesday: 09:00-15:00
Thursday: 09:00-17:00
Friday 09:00-12:00  

Sydøstjyllands Politi, Horsens

Foreign office
Holmboes Allé 2
8700 Horsens

7628 1448

Opening hours
Monday and Wednesday: 09:30-12:00 and 12:30-15.00
Thursday: 09:30-12:00 and 12:30-15.00
Tuesday and Friday: Closed

Telephone hours
Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 08:30-09.30

Citizen Centre of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration, Copenhagen

The Citizen Centre
Njalsgade 72C
2300 Copenhagen S

For telephone numbers see the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration website

Midt- og Vestsjællands Politi, Køge

Foreign office
Kongsberg Allé 4
4600 Køge

4635 1448 

Opening hours
Monday: 10:00-15:00
Wednesday: 10:00-15:00
Thursday: 10:00-17:00
Tuesday and Friday: Closed

Telephone hours
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday: 09:00-10:00

Midt- og Vestjyllands Politi, Holstebro

Foreign office
Stationsvej 74
7500 Holstebro

9614 1448

Opening hours
Monday-Wednesday: 10:00-14:00
Thursday: 10:00-17:00
Friday: 10:00-14:00

Telephone hours
Monday to Friday: 09:00-10:00

Fyns Politi, Svendborg

Foreign office
Svendborg Politistation
Tvedvej 2
5700 Svendborg

The Foreign Office is only open for personal assistance by appointment.

Nordjyllands Politi, Aalborg

Foreing Office (Udlændingeafsnittet)
Jyllandsgade 27
9000 Aalborg

(Entrance from "Trækbanen")

7258 9871

Opening hours
Monday to Friday: 09:00-12:00

Telephone hours
Monday to Friday: 08:00-09:00



Inge Aachmann Pedersen

International Coordinator
H bldg. 1651, 112
P +4587153603

Jakob Feldtfos Christensen

International Coordinator
H bldg. 1651, 120
P +4520374765
P +4520374765
1882 / i43