You are here: AU  Staff  International Academic Staff (IAS) On arrival Registration


When you arrive in Denmark and will be staying for more than 90 days you need to register with the Danish authorities. 

Nordic citizens

Nordic citizens who stay in Denmark for more than six months need to register with the Danish National Register.

Read more about how to register as a Nordic citizen


EU/EEA citizens

EU/EEA citizens can reside freely in Denmark for up to three months without registering with the public authorities. If you seek employment, you can stay for up to six months.

If you expect to stay for longer than the three or six-month limit, you must apply in person to the Regional State Administration for a EU residence document (registration certificate). You may initiate the process 1-2 weeks before you start your work in Denmark.

Read more about how to register as an EU/EEA citizen

Non-EU/EEA citizens

Non EU/EEA citizens need a residence and work permit to reside and work in Denmark. Once you have a residence and work permit, you can register for your CPR number, health insurance card and tax card.

Read more about how to register as non-EU/EEA citizen

I will stay in Denmark for less than 90 days

You do not need to register with the National Registry. You will not be covered by Danish health insurance and must sign private health insurance.

Read more under Short term stays



Cross-border commuters

You are a cross-border commuter (also known as a frontier worker) if you live in another EU/EEA country and work in Denmark.

Most cross-border commuters in Denmark are from Sweden, Germany and Poland.

Cross-border commuters do not need to apply for a an EU Certificate of Registration in Denmark but non-EU/EEA citizens will need a valid work permit.

Being a cross-border commuter has an influence on your tax, social security and rights to drive in Denmark among others. Therefore, we advise you to investigate carefully whether you qualify to be a cross-border commuter and whether you wish to register as such.

You can read more about cross-border commuters and find links to websites for cross-border commuters from Sweden and Germany on the Lifeindenmark website

Join Getting Started in Denmark - in Aarhus

We strongly recommend you to participate in the "Getting Started in Denmark"-event if you are residing in the greater Aarhus-area. This will provide you with easy access to the public authorities and makes getting registered considerably easier compared to visiting the different authorities needed.          

Read more about Getting Started in Denmark

Register at the International Citizen Service

We strongly recommend you to get your registrations done at the International Citizen Service (ICS) - either by joining the Getting Started in Denmark event, or by going to the ICS by yourself. 

The ICS provides you with easy access to the public authorities and makes getting registered considerably easier compared to visiting the different authorities needed. You may also get your CPR number at the local citizens service (DOKK1 in Aarhus), but here you will have to wait 1-2 weeks before receiving your CPR number. At the ICS you will receive your CPR number immediately, which will enable you to apply for a Nem ID and open a bank account. We, therefore, do not recommend you to register at the local citizens service (DOKK1 in Aarhus). 

Read more about nternational Citizen Service (ICS)

Accompanying partner and children

If you are bringing family with you, certain rules apply. please contact 


Non-EU/EEA citizens - registration procedure

Accompanying partners and children can either register on their own or along with the main applicant (guest/employee of Aarhus University).

Accompanying spouses/partners and children will get their CPR number at the Getting Started in Denmark event (as will the main applicant). ­­

EU/EEA citizens - registration procedure

Accompanying partners and children can come as accompanying family to the main applicant (guest/employee of Aarhus University). The partner must be able to document an established relationship through marriage or proof that you have lived together (more than 18 months).

Accompanying partners and children must register in person at the International Citizen Service in order to get their EU residence certificate and CPR number, and register ALONG WITH the main applicant (guest/employee of Aarhus University).

Each accompanying family member must fill in form OD1 – incl. accompanying children. Please remember to fill in Appendix B.1 and B.2. The form must be signed by the main applicant (guest/employee of Aarhus University).

Accompanying spouses/partners will usually get their CPR number on the day of registration/at the Getting Started in Denmark event. However, in some cases they may only be able to initiate the application process and will then have to wait 2-4 weeks to get their CPR number. 

EU/EEA citizens - If not married or living together

If you are not able to document marriage or that you have lived together, you can come based on the following conditions of residence:

  • Sufficient resources - There are two options:
    • You support yourself financially (Please include documentation such as bank statement, scholarships or documentation of other means)
    • Another person supports you financially (Please include documentation from the person supporting you financially such as a declaration about financial support, employment contract/employers declaration and pay slips, bank statement or other documentation)

  • Worker - You are in paid employment in Denmark
  • Self-employed person - You have started or intend to start independent business activity in Denmark
  • Student - You are enrolled at an educational establishment that gives students the right to support from the Danish Education Support Agency (SU). 
    You must submit a declaration that you have sufficient resources for your period of residence so that you will not become a burden on the social assistance system.

Read more about who can get a certificate of registration on the State Administraton website  

Procedure if you are bringing children

We happily welcome children at the Getting Started in Denmark event. Families with children are usually prioritized to be first in line. 

Children should stay with an adult outside the room where we give the presentations. This is to insure that the participants have full concentration and a calm atmosphere to take in the important on arrival information. In this way the participants are more likely to get the most out of the event.     

Children can stay in the reception area where there is a small selection of toys and games.

It is also possible to register on your own at the International Citizen Service. This may be an alternative if you are bringing small children. Contact the IAS-team for further information

Documents to bring

There are a number of documents to bring to get registered. The following documents must be brought in original form from home. Only certificates in English/German/Scandinavian languages are accepted (original or authorized translations):

  • Original marriage certificate (if married). Please note that marriage certificates from some countries need to be apostille certified
  • Original birth certificate(s) (if you are bringing children). Please note that birth certificates from some countries need to be apostille certified

See the full list of documents to bring under your nationality:

Address registration

In order to get your CPR number, you need to register with an address in Denmark. To be eligible to register, you need to prove that you will stay in Denmark for more than 3 months and that you have a fixed place of residence for minimum 1 month from the day of registration.

Fixed place of residence = 1 month

Stays of a minimum of 1 month normally fulfil the conditions of a fixed place of residence, but stays of less than 1 month do not.

You need to live at the address you register with. Thus, you cannot register before you have moved to your fixed place of residence.

Types of housing that you can register with

It is possible to register as address rental apartments, guest houses, private rooms but also camping lots, hotels and hostels. The important thing is that you will be sleeping there regularly, you must have your belongings at the address and prove that you will stay there for a minimum of 1 month.

You should also make sure that you can have your mail forwarded to the address. Your name must be on the mail box in order for you to receive mail at the address, otherwise Post Danmark cannot deliver your mail.  

What documentation do you need?

When you register, you need to bring both

  • Proof of your address(es) in Denmark such as rental contract(s) or letter(s) from landlord
  • Proof that you will be staying in Denmark for more than 3 months (work contract, invitation letter, etc.)

Read more about what to bring to get registered

Car registration

If you bring a vehicle to Denmark and you take up residence in Denmark, the vehicle must be registered to Danish number plates within 30 days of arrival and you must pay a registration tax.

Read more about car registration

Choosing a doctor

You choose your own doctor at the National Registry Office (Folkeregistret). When you fill in the forms for a health insurance certificate, you receive a list of general practitioners in your area of residence. If you belong to insurance group 1, you have to choose a permanent doctor. You are free to choose between the general practitioners who accept new patients, and these are indicated on the list. You can subsequently change doctor if you wish.

If you belong to insurance group 1, you can change your doctor by contacting the National Registry Office. The change will take effect 14 days after the authorities have received payment for issuing a new health insurance certificate.

If you are in insurance group 2, you do not choose a particular doctor, but may consult a new one whenever you please.

What to do if you need medical consultation

You must contact your general practitioner if you need medical consultation. You call the doctor and make an appointment, for either the same day or one of the following days depending on the severity of the illness. Most doctors also have phone consultations one hour a day. You also have to contact your general practitioner if you want a referral to a medical specialist, physiotherapist, psychologist or a chiropodist, or if you need a prescription for medicine.


If you are covered by the public health insurance and have chosen insurance group 1, medical consultation is free. You need to bring your yellow health insurance certificate to the consultation.

Opening hours

Danish doctors are normally open between 8.00 and 16.00.

Emergency doctor

If you need medical consultation outside opening hours, you should contact the emergency doctor. Their phone numbers are listed in the phone book.

Read more about choosing a doctor on the International Community website

E-boks, NemID and NemKonto

In order to receive pay, see your payslip and receive mail from the public authorities, you need to register for E-boks, NemID and NemKonto.

Read more about E-boks, NemID and NemKonto


Media licence

In Denmark, anyone owning a television or computer capable of receiving and displaying pictures must pay a media fee. You only pay one media fee if you for example own a television, computer and radio. The fee applies for an entire household.

You are legally obligated to pay fees for your fee-payable equipment, even if you do not watch or listen to radio or TV channels from Radio Denmark (DR). You pay for owning the equipment and the fee is a statutory equipment tax.

You must register with the fees office within 14 days after acquiring the equipment. If you move within Denmark, you do not need to do anything; the fee will move with you. If you leave Denmark, you need to send in notice and cancel the fee.

Read more and register/deregister for the media licence

Translations of official documents

Aarhus university has a framework agreement with the translation bureau Amesto Translations, and has worked with Amesto to design a one-stop-shop solution for translations of official documents for the university’s researchers and students. This service is not free, but Amesto offers special low prices to employees and students.

Aarhus University does not translate official documents for employees or students, and does not provide references to specific translators working in specific language combinations.

Read more about translations of official documents

Register with the authorities one by one

Guide on how to register with the Danish Authorities in Aarhus

We have made an information sheet Registering with the Danish Authorities, which is a guide to registering with the Danish authorities in Aarhus when the International Citizen Service is closed. You will find the address, telephone number, email address (where applicable) and opening hours of the offices to register with as a newly arrived staff member in Aarhus. 

See Registering with the Danish Authorities (pdf)

For citizens who do not live in Aarhus

Overview of authorities to register with when the International Citizen Service is closed

For citizens who do not live in Aarhus, see the individual homepages for information about location and contact information of the individual offices to register with:


Vibhuti Bhushan

International Coordinator

Anne Pletschette Langer

International Coordinator
H bldg. 1651, 112
P +4587152589
P +4593521661

Vibeke Tyrre Pedersen

Relocation Officer
H bldg. 1651, 116
P +4540878974
P +4540878974

4711 / i43