You are here: AU  Staff  International Academic Staff (IAS) On arrival Registration EU/EEA citizens

EU/EEA citizens

Where to register

Join Getting Stared in Denmark or go to the ICS to get registered at once

We strongly recommend you to either participate in the "Getting Started in Denmark"-event if you are residing in the greater Aarhus-area or to get your registrations done at the International Citizen Service (ICS). This will provide you with easy access to the public authorities and makes getting registered considerably easier compared to visiting the different authorities needed.

In Aarhus, Copenhagen, Odense and Aalborgh you can register at International Citizen Service.

Read more about Getting Started in Denmark

Read more about the International Citizen Service

What to bring to get registered at the International Citizen Service

Documents for EU residence document

  • Form OD1. Each family member must fill in form OD1 – incl. accompanying children.
  • Work contract or Declaration by the Employer (Appendix A in form OD1). Please note that the contract/invitation letter or Declaration by the Employer cannot be more than 30 days old = it must be signed and dated maximum 30 days before the event.
  • If not employed by Aarhus University or Danish funding: enclose documentation of sufficient funds, e.g. transcript from your bank account, scholarship or other means. The transcript must indicate the amount, the currency, your name and must not be older than 2 weeks when you apply.
  • Original passport/ID card with photo + two copies
  • One passport size photo

Documents for CPR-number

  • Your registration certificate
  • A completed arrival form for new citizens in Denmark
  • Original passport/ID card as well as a copy
  • A copy of proof of your current address in Denmark (e.g. rental contract, letter from landlord). You need to document that you have housing from the day you register and minimum one month ahead.
  • Original marriage certificate + a copy if you are married. Please remember to bring your marriage certificate, even if your partner is not accompanying you. Only certificates in English/German/Scandinavian languages are accepted (original or authorized translations)
  • If applicable: divorce certificate/death certificate (widow(er)). Only certificates in English/German/Scandinavian languages are accepted (original or authorized translations)
  • If applicable, documentation for changes of name (2 copies). Only certificates in English/German/Scandinavian languages are accepted (original or authorized translations)

Documents for TAX / SKAT

  • A copy of your work contract
  • Tax form 04.063 to apply for a tax card if you will receive salary/payments from Denmark. If you are going to be on the researcher’s tax scheme you do not need to fill out  this form  
    • Fill out the online form if you are employed in Denmark. Bring confirmation of submitted online form
    • Fill out the paper form if you are not employed but on a scholarship or receive different means of funding

If you are accompanied by spouse/partner or children (under 18 years)

Read important information about what to bring if you are accompanied by spouse/partner or children

Registration step by step

Step 1: State Administration

Once you arrive in Denmark, you need to apply for a residence certificate with the Regional State Administration. You may initiate the process 1-2 weeks before you start your work in Denmark.  Processing your application generally takes one to two weeks unless you register during our "Getting Started in Denmark"-event or at the International Citizen Service. In such cases the application will be processed immediately.

For the address and opening hours of your Regional State Administration, see the State Administration website.

Step 2: Citizen Service

As EU/EEA/Swiss citizen you can be registered with Citizens’ Service if you stay in Denmark for more than three months. We strongly encourage you to do so.

However, you are only required to register if you are planning on staying in Denmark for longer than six months. If you choose not to register, we strongly encourage you to hold a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC or “Blue Card”) from your home country.

You can register at either the local Citizen Service (Borgerservice) in your municipality or the International Citizen Service.

In conjunction with being registered with the national register, you also need to choose a GP/family doctor, after which you are covered by Danish public health insurance.

Once you are registered in the national register, you are issued with a Danish civil registration number (CPR no.). About 14 days after you have been registered, you will receive a yellow health insurance card by post, which carries your Danish social security number.

Notice! In order to receive your yellow card it is important that your name is on your mailbox. If you don't recieve your certificat within due time it might be because your name isn't on your mailbox. Otherwise, call your local Citizens Service (Borgerservice).

Step 3: Tax registration

Once you have received your Danish civil registration (CPR) number, you should register at your local tax authority (SKAT) or International Citizen Service. They will issue an electronic tax card, which AU needs in order to calculate your taxes.

If you do not have an electronic tax card, your employer must withhold 55 per cent of your salary. Your tax card will be sent directly to your employer.

If you are on the Researcher Taxation Scheme (paying a gross income tax of 26 %) you should not register with SKAT since AU will take care of that. Learn more about the Researcher Taxation Scheme.