The Danish welfare state is, among other things, based on the concept of citizens having equal access to the different services paid for by taxes.
- Everyone must be able to get help in situations, such as unemployment or illness.
- All children must attend school and have the possibility of completing an education.
- All citizens must have access to information and guidance (for example from libraries and media).
- The tax rate in Denmark is one of the highest in the world, as Denmark has a very large public sector.
- The public sector looks after many services.
Read more about taxation in Denmark
See current tax rates on the SKAT website
Different types of tax
The Danish tax system consists of direct taxes and indirect taxes.
Read more about different types of tax on the SKAT website
Tax in Denmark Guide
If you are planning to move or have just moved to Denmark, we recommend that you read the guide Tax in Denmark - an introduction to the Danish tax system for non-Danish speakers.