Coronavirus/covid-19 information for international staff at AU

Aarhus University is following the current Danish government guidelines

Due to the recent spikes in coronavirus cases in Denmark, Aarhus University is following the newly recommended government guidelines. Please check with your respective department about their reopening time frame and procedures. 

If you are planning to come to Denmark, we urge you to read the information provided here closely. Border restrictions due to the coronavirus are still in place and are being continually updated. You should also check with your Aarhus University contact person as to which guidelines and procedures need to be followed to enter Denmark in order to take up your position at AU. 

Heightened restrictions for entering Denmark extended until the 7th of February

The heightened entry restrictions and travel advisories in place from the 9th of Janaury have been extended until the 7th of February.

If entering Denmark by air: ALL travellers entering Denmark by air must present a negative Covid-19 test taken no more than 24 hours before boarding the plane. See the website below to read more about testing requirements, including continuous, multi-flight travel.

At this point in time, no specific type of COVID-19 test is required. The test must show whether a person is infected with COVID-19. This means that both PCR tests and antigen tests are accepted in connection with entry into Denmark whereas antibody tests do not meet the requirement. Having gotten a vaccine in your country of residence or home country is not valid proof of a negative test result. 

Persons who have already had Covid-19 and therefore cannot show a negative test, must show documentation of a postive test that is at least 2 weeks old and not more than 8 weeks old.

If entering Denmark by train, ferry or car: Danish residents and citizens do not need to show a negative Covid-19 test. However, if you are not a resident of Demark, you must show a negative Covid-19 and your worthy purpose to enter.

You can also read more in our section on "Entry Restrictions" regarding "worthy purpose" documentation.   

At the moment, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark advises against all travel worldwide

At IAS we endeavour to keep this webpage updated and clear for our users, however, if you have more specific questions that are not answered here, or are unsure of any of this information, you can call the arrivals hotline of the Danish Police on +45 7020 6044 or contact the IAS Relocation Team.

Covid-19 testing for residents returning to Denmark

If you are a resident reentering Denmark after being away, a negative test is not an entry requirement (except if coming in by air).

However, it is a good idea to get tested as a public health measure and you can find a list of test centers and book an appointment here. The AU campus test center Søauditorierne is also listed.

Current AU policy is to self-isolate for 10 days after your return to Denmark, as recommended by the public health authorities. You may end your self-isolation early if you take a PCR test and test negative no earlier than the fourth day after your entering Denmark. You must be able to present the negative test upon request.

Please note that Aarhus University does not recommend travel abroad. We are following the recommendations of the Danish authorities to avoid unnecessary travel. 

Special entry restrictions for UK or South African residents

There are special travel and entry restrictions in place for persons resident in the United Kingdom or South Africa (extended until the 7th of February). ONLY the purposes listed under "special worthy purposes" on the Danish Police website allow entry to Denmark. 

Starting a new position at Aarhus University is not considered a "worthy purpose" at the moment. Please check with your department regarding alternative work arrangements.

In addition to proof of a "special worthy purpose", travellers arriving by plane must present proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than 24 hours before they board the plane in the United Kingdom. Airlines are responsible for making sure that no passengers board a plane if they do not have a negative COVID-19 test.


If you are a citizen or a resident in Denmark already, these rules do not apply to you (except for the 24 hour negative Covid-19 test requirement currently in place when entering by air).

Entry restrictions to Denmark

If you are not a Danish national or resident of Denmark, you must show a "worthy purpose" for entering Denmark.

Non EU Citizens

Researchers, employed/enrolled PhD students, guest researchers and guest PhD students with valid work and residence permits are allowed to enter Denmark with a negative Covid-19 test no more than 24 hours old. 

Family members (spouse and children) accompanying the above groups are allowed to enter Denmark with negative Covid-19 tests, as per the heightened entry restrictions in place extended until the 7th of February (see section above).

EU Citizens

For this group, entry to Denmark is only permitted with a valid employment contract and a negative Covid-19 test no more than 24 hours old.

Family and partners are currently not allowed to enter, due to the heightened restrictions currently in place. Once the employed family member is fully registered in Denmark (with CPR number), the family and/or partners will be allowed to enter as well.

For further details and updated entry restrictions, please always refer to the Danish Authorities' website and the Danish Immigration Service, SIRI

Documentation required for "worthy purpose"

Persons who have a worthy purpose to enter Denmark must be able to demonstrate the purpose for entering. They must show documentation including a valid residence permit (for non EU citizens), an employment contract/employment letter (EU citizens), and a housing lease.

It is therefore very important to carry a copy of your AU employment contract if you are traveling to Denmark to commence a position at AU. If you are returning to Denmark from a stay abroad, you must carry proof of your Danish residence (residence card, yellow card etc.).

Accompanying partners and family members are strongly advised to carry their residence permit (non-EU/EEA citizens) and any documentation for their current residence (residence card, yellow card etc.) or future residence in Denmark (in addition to the main person's employment contract, housing lease etc.).

If you have questions, please contact the IAS Relocation Team



Traveling out of Denmark

If you are considering travelling abroad here are the guidelines:

Insurance when traveling abroad

If you are going to be travelling, you should make sure that you have the proper insurance cover. You are not covered by AU insurance if the travel is not work related. Therefore, you will need private insurance cover and it is essential to know how you are covered during Covid-19.

If you have the blue EU health insurance card, you will still have the same level of coverage during Covid-19. Read more about the blue EU health insurance card under Covid-19 (in Danish).

You should also check with your immediate supervisor if you are planning to travel abroad. 

Face mask or shield requirements

You must wear a face mask when travelling on public transportation (planes, trains, busses and ferries), and when entering transport stations and airports. It is also a requirement to wear a face mask or shield in retail shops, in establishments that sell food, drinks or tobacco for consumption on site, and at educational, cultural and recreational institutions.

For non-EU/EEA Citizens - work and residence permits

Recording of biometrics:

The normal 14-day deadline for biometrics has been extended for applications submitted in November, December 2020 and January 2021 to 4 weeks from the date you submitted the application. 

Entering Denmark:

If you are not able to enter Denmark no later than 6 months after issue of your residence permit, your permit will normally automatically expire. However, due to this extraordinary situation, it will be possible to apply for an exemption from the regular lapse of permit. For further details, check immigration’s official website about Corona.

AU Guest Researcher Service

Contact AU Guest Researcher Service for questions on residence and work permits.

If you need to leave Denmark - work and residence permits

For non EU/EEA Citizens

If you have not yet received your residence card and need to leave Denmark and come back again, make sure to apply for the re-entry permit before leaving the country else you may not be allowed to reenter Denmark. 

See immigration’s coronavirus webpage for further information and updates

 If you need to leave Denmark to work from your home abroad/in your home country, please be aware of some important issues with respect to insurance and IT. See further and detailed information on the AU coronasite.

 Please also check whether your Danish work and residence permit will expire, if you give up your address or stay out of Denmark for more than 6 months.

AU Guest Researcher Service

Contact AU Guest Researcher Service for questions on residence and work permits.

If your current residence permit is about to expire

Important information from immigration’s corona webpage:

“As a rule, you must leave Denmark before your residence permit expires. If you are unable to leave before the expiry date of your residence permit due to the coronavirus/COVID-19, you must thereafter leave Denmark as soon as possible. The immigration authorities will disregard that you have stayed beyond the duration of your residence permit, if this has been caused by your inability to leave due to closure of flight routes etc. caused by the coronavirus/COVID-19.”

Alternatively, you have a few other options to stay: apply for an extension of your current permit, or apply for a new permit as a guest researcher. Both alternatives requires certain conditions to be fulfilled and they must be discussed with your employer. Please note that both alternatives require submission of a new application before expiry of your current permit.

AU Guest Researcher Service

Contact AU Guest Researcher Service for questions on residence and work permits.

Short Term Visas

Due to the closing of Denmark’s borders, the processing of short term visa applications will be based on whether your country of residence is classified as 'open' or 'banned'. If you are a citizen of a country with a short term visa requirement, and you live in a ‘banned’ country, you must have a worthy purpose in Denmark in order to get a short term visa.

Read more about "worthy purpose" and required documentation on the Danish Authorities' website and more about worthy purpose also on immigration’s corona website.

Regardless of whether you live in an open or banned country, you must still meet the ordinary requirements for a short stay visa.   

It is recommended that you contact the local Danish mission before you apply for the short term visa to know whether the Danish mission is open to receive applications or not.

AU Guest Researcher Service

Contact AU Guest Researcher Service for questions on short term visa.


If you need to register in Denmark, you can find out here what to do:

Check the relevant offices for current opening hours and appointments:

The Danish vaccination programme

The Danish Health Authority and other health authorities have begun setting up the Danish vaccination programme. All Danish citizens and residents (who hold a CPR number) will have the opportunity to get vaccinated over the next several months. You will be notified via your e-Boks when it is your turn to be vaccinated. If you are exempt from receiving Digital Post, you will get a letter in the mail. Once you have been notified, you must go to (in English) and book a time for vaccination. 

News in English

Internal news channels

At the International Academic Staff Services we use different channels to communicate recent news and updates about AU and the more general situation: 

UIC Newsletter

The UIC Newsletter is sent out every other Tuesday at 12:00. The information is for international staff, guest researchers and PhDs at AU, accompanying partners and families. Special issues have been made during the current period, which can all be found in the UIC newsletter archive 

Sign up to the UIC Newsletter  

UIC Facebook page

The UIC Facebook page provides general information posts and updates 

External news channels

The following are some of the most relevant news sources in English, besides those from the authorities like Politi and SST.  

The Post Facebook page

The Local Facebook page  

Your Danish Life Facebook page 

The page contains no recent news but more opinion.   

Information is available in almost 30 languages.  

Denmark News is an app which gathers all news about Denmark written around the world.