You are here: AU  Staff  International Academic Staff (IAS) Living in Denmark

Living in Denmark

Accompanying partners

At Aarhus University we have an Expat Partner Programme to help accompanying partners. The expat partner advisors are here to help partners overcome the cultural barriers, job challenges, and other practical matters related to relocating to Denmark.

Read more about the Expat Partner Programme

Address change when living in Denmark

Citizens must report their move to the National Registry/Citizen’s Service at the latest 5 days after having moved. It may, however, already be reported up to a month before the actual move.  

Read more about how to change your address 

Daily life

There are a lot of issues that influence your daily life: getting your post, doing the shopping, finding news in English, and much more. Read more about these issues in the Daily life section. 

See Daily Life

Housing benefits

If you live in rented accommodation, you may be entitled to receive housing benefits. Whether or not you are eligible to receive housing benefits depends on a number of conditions, e.g.:

  • How much you pay in rent
  • How many children and adults live in the accommodation
  • The total income of everyone who lives in the accommodation

Who can receive housing benefits?

Citizens from EU/EEA countries can receive housing benefits on equal terms as Danish citizens. Non-EU/EEA citizens may be able to receive housing benefits depending on which residence and work permit they carry.

In general, non-EU/EEA citizens who are employed by the university or another Danish company can receive housing benefits on equal terms as Danish citizens.

Overview of residence and work permit types that cannot receive housing benefits

The categories below all have a foundation for residence that does not allow one to receive housing benefits.

  • Fee-paying PhD student (enrolled, not employed)
  • Guest PhD student (not enrolled, not employed)
  • Parallel PhD/Master’s students: 4 years (4+4) and 5 years (3+5). It depends on which part of the PhD study you are on, whether you can receive housing benefits. On the first part of the PhD, when you are not employed, you cannot receive housing benefits. On the last part of the PhD education, you can get housing benefits, if you are employed.
  • Bachelor/Master’s students
  • Job seeking period – Master’s students
  • Job seeking period – PhD students

How much can you get?

How much you can get in housing benefits depends on a number of conditions, including:

  • Your rent after deducting expenses for electricity, water and heating
  • The area of the accommodation in square metres
  • The number of children and adults who live in the accommodation
  • Income and capital for everyone who lives in the accommodation

You do not need to pay tax on housing benefits.

Please contact Udbetaling Danmark for further information

How do you apply for housing benefits?

You can apply for housing benefits by contacting Udbetaling Danmark by phone +45 70 12 80 63 or by e-mail at  

You can apply for housing benefits via the municipal online facility (in Danish only) if you have a NemID (requires a CPR number).   

Read about Housing benefits and how to apply on

Leisure activities

In the leisure activities section we have compiled information about international clubs and associations, cultural offers, dining, family activities and sports and exercise. Denmark is a country of clubs and associations, so if you have a free time activity, we will have the club. 

Visit the Leisure activities page 

Transportation in Denmark

Denmark has a good network of transportation for both public and private transport. In this section you may read about having a car in Denmark, buses and trains and biking. 

Visit the Transportation in Denmark section


As an employee at Aarhus University you will need to obtain a tax card (which is a virtual, not a physical card) from The Danish Customs and Tax Administration  You get the tax card by registering at the Danish tax authorities upon arrival in Denmark. The tax card ensures that you get the tax allowances and reliefs you are entitled to before your employer withholds tax from your income.  

Read more about taxation

News and Guides

Join University International Club at AU

University International Club (UIC) hosts weekly seminars,  talks and excursions, which provide valuable information in a positive atmosphere.

1883 / i43