You are here: AU  Staff  International Academic Staff (IAS) On arrival

Newly arrived international academic staff to Denmark and Aarhus University

When you arrive to Denmark, there are a number of things you need to do in order to get settled. Below you can read more about the steps to go through during your first weeks in Denmark. See the flowchart on the right to help you with the different steps. 


When you arrive in Denmark and will be staying for more than 90 days you need to register with the Danish authorities to get a CPR number.

Once you are registered, you have the right to receive national health service treatment for free. This means that as soon as you are a registered resident here, you have the same rights to medical assistance as Danish citizens.    

Read all about registration


NemID is a common secure login on the Internet, whether you are doing your online banking, finding out information from the public authorities or engaging with one of the many businesses that use NemID.

A common login

NemID is the same login everywhere. Whether you’re doing your online banking or you need to view your tax file, the way you log in will be exactly the same.

Read more about NemID

Bank account

To receive your payment from Aarhus University, you will need a bank account. In Denmark everyone has the right to open a basic bank account, however you need a CPR number to do so.

Read more under Money and banking

Digital Post and E-boks - your digital mailboxes

E-boks - from both public authorities and private companies

E-Boks is your online digital mailbox. In E-Boks you can file all your important mail in one secure place. You are advised to sign up for E-boks in order to securely store your mail from both private companies and public authorities. 

Read more about E-Boks

Digital Post - from the public authorities

You receive mail from the public authorities via Digital Post. This includes any letters from hospital, pension statements, changes to housing benefits, replies to applications for childcare, letters from the Danish Tax and Customs Administration (SKAT), etc.

How to access Digital Post

You will be signed up for Digital Post when you register at the International Citizen Service or join our Getting Started in Denmark event.

Read more about Digital Post


While most vital services are covered by the public healthcare system in Denmark, most Danes also have accident insurance, home contents insurance, unemployment insurance and travel insurance. In addition to these, it is mandatory by law to have third party insurance if you own a car. It is your responsibility to take out private insurance.    

Read more on the Insurance page

Media licence

In Denmark, anyone owning a television or computer capable of receiving and displaying pictures must pay a media fee. You only pay one media fee if you for example own a television, computer and radio. The fee applies for an entire household.

You are legally obligated to pay fees for your fee-payable equipment, even if you do not watch or listen to radio or TV channels from Radio Denmark (DR). You pay for owning the equipment and the fee is a statutory equipment tax.

You must register with the fees office within 14 days after acquiring the equipment. If you move within Denmark, you do not need to do anything; the fee will move with you. If you leave Denmark, you need to send in notice and cancel the fee.

Read more and register/deregister for the media licence

Danish courses

As an international with an official Danish address (folkeregisteradresse) and a CPR number, you can take state supported Danish courses in the municipality you live. The courses are both for you and your accompanying partner and take place either at the language school or on campus. 

The courses are at a cost, but the department can choose to pay for staff members. The university is not allowed to pay for courses for accompanying partners.

Read more about Danish courses

Map of Aarhus University locations

On the Aarhus University building map you can find all Aarhus University locations as well as canteens, guest houses, lecture halls, libraries and much more. 

See the Aarhus University building map

1871 / i43